| Samantha and Sarah, Jan. 13 |
Despite the epidural, I was feeling pain and pressure which made me want to push. And it was, indeed, time to push. They moved me to the OR (standard procedure for twins) where there were a ton of people rushing around. It was all a little disconcerting. They put me on an operating table, and I was all set to start pushing. After several pushes, Sarah was born. I heard her cry, then she was passed through the window to the NICU to be checked over. Now it was time for Samantha to be born. Dr. Silver had planned to reach in and pull her out by her feet (since she was breech); he was very confident in this method. However, when the doctor delivering the baby reached in and pulled her feet down, she found that her head was also down. My uterus had contracted and Samantha was trying to come out all at once. The doctor tried for another minute or two, but then her cord was caught in the mix and Dr. Silver, who was overseeing the delivery, decided it was time for her to come and it would be by c-section. There was some more rushing around. I cried; I think I was mostly worried about Samantha. Then there was cutting, which felt like tugging, and Samantha too was born. She was passed right through the window and I neither saw her nor heard her cry. Soon Eric and my mom were allowed back in and I asked about Samantha. They told me she was okay and asked NICU for an update.
After that I could only wait as I was stitched back up and my babies were evaluated. Samantha was brought in for a bit then she left to be prepared for transfer to Primary Childrens Medical Center. When my belly was all put back together, I was put back in my bed and moved back to my room. Soon the transport team brought Samantha to say goodbye and Eric went with her to th CICU at PCMC. Sarah stayed with me and we were brought to our room in the Mother/Baby area where she roomed in with me.
The next days have sort of blurred together for me. I was able to visit Samantha several times since University Hospital is connected to PCMC by a sky bridge. Eric would push me in a wheelchair and Sarah would stay at University Hospital either with my mom in my room or with the nurses in the nursery. Samantha was moved out of critical care in the CICU and to the 3rd floor CSU. At some point there was an Echo (ultrasound of the heart) and it was decided she would need a surgery to place a band on her pulmonary artery (PA). Eric or my mom would stay with Samantha while Sarah and I were still patients at University. (Remember that emergency c-section I had?)
Marianne and Don brought Junior and Carolyn to visit. I'm glad they got a chance to meet the babies. Junior seemed to think it was interesting, but Carolyn was very put off by the whole experience and seemed afraid to see me as a patient. It was understandable, but made me a bit sad. When she came again the next day I was able to help her be more comfortable with everything and then she wanted to hold my hand as Eric pushed me in the wheelchair over to see Samantha. It was so sweet.
| My first time holding both Sarah and Samantha |
| Samantha and Sarah the day before surgery |
Waiting was not great. We received our first call after 1-1/2 hours and were told that the surgeon had just made the incision. The next call, an hour later, we found out that the surgeon did not place the PA band because after her PDA ligature her oxygen sats dropped and then when a band was applied very loosely, her sats dropped even more, way lower than they wanted, so they did not place the band. After the surgery we found out that her blood pressure and O2 sats were both troubling during the surgery.
| Samantha after surgery |
Samantha's doctors thought it would only take a couple days to recouperate from her surgery, but again, she did not respond as they predicted. She took on a lot of fluid, including in her lungs. She also had blood pressure that would drop too low. The doctors would all come by for rounds and go over what was going on. The attending doctor would say they were "puzzled" but that it wasn't an "emergency." Basically they just had to treat her and wait for her to get better. In the mean time, the time in the hospital was wearing on the whole family so my mom took Junior and Carolyn back home to Boise to stay with Eric's parents, Terry and Kelly, until we get back. It was good for them to get to go home and get more into a routine. Their time in Utah was fun as they got to spend time with lots of different cousins, but getting home was just what they needed.
| Samantha and Sarah together again |
We are grateful for all of the prayers, visits and gifts from friends, family, and new friends from Intermountain Healing Hearts (http://www.ihhearts.org/) support group. Your support is so appreciated and encouraging. Thank you all! We have also found the Ronald McDonald House to be a great help!

2 comments:
Sarita-- It is so good to hear an update. I am glad that Samantha is progressing and will be able to come home soon. Even though my baby experience was different, I have a lot of memories of the NICU and spending day after day waiting for my Sterling to grow big enough to come home.
Keep in touch!
I can't get enough of your baby pictures! Darn this sinus/head cold!!! I hope Samantha's making progress!
Post a Comment