Sunday, March 9, 2014

There's No Place Like Home

Friday, February 21 Samantha was discharged from the hospital and I was able to bring her home to the rest of the family.  She had been gaining weight and tolerating her formula so she was well enough to come home.  She did have to keep her feeding tube in,which is not so fun, but a small price to pay for having her home.

At home Eric and I get to care for Sarah and Samantha together.  Samantha requires a little extra care because of her feedings, home care visits, and doctor appointments, but we are getting our routines down and doing pretty well.  It's pretty demanding caring for twins, especially when one needs extra care, but we love these two precious girls and are so grateful to Heavenly Father for sending them to our family.  It is a joy to care for them.  They are growing up to fast, so I am getting the cuddles in when I can.  They will be 2 months old tomorrow.







Samantha's cardiologist says she is doing well.  Her lung pressures look good so she should be able to tolerate her heart's anatomy for a couple months until her next surgery.  In the meantime, we are watching her oxygen saturations pretty closely to make sure.  In another month or two we'll start getting her ready for her next surgery, called the Glenn.  I look forward to that being over with so she will have a circulatory system that will better oxygenate her body without overworking her heart and lungs.  Of course, it won't be until she has the final surgery called the Fontan (when she is 2 or 3) that her red and blue will no longer mix in her heart and she should be able to live with that anatomy for a long time without too much intervention.  I look forward to then, but for now I have to remind myself to take one step, just one day or hour or minute at a time.  Looking too far down the road can be overwhelming and has too many variables to have any kind of certainty.  That's where faith comes in.  Sweet Samantha Faith needs our prayers and our love.  

2 comments:

Nola said...

I am so glad you updated us on Samantha and put up pictures of the other 3 also! I think about you a lot! I am glad Samantha is doing well. I will keep her in my prayers!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for updating. I have been wondering how Samantha is doing. We keep your family in our prayers. I'm so glad that she is doing well enough now to be home with the rest of the family.

The Army National Guard