Saturday, December 14, 2013

News from Cardiology

We saw Samantha's cardiologist, Dr. Adams yesterday.  On our last visit previous to this one, he was optimistic about her blood flow to her lungs and told us she may not even need the first in the series of 3 surgeries.  However, yesterday he discovered that she is developing pulmonary stenosis that may even be or become pulmonary atresia.  Meaning that there is not very much blood flow from her right ventricle to her lungs.  This means that she will require medication upon birth and surgery within the first week or two of life.  Since that surgery will need to occur at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, he will likely suggest and discuss with my OB the option of my delivering there as well.  That way Samantha would get immediate care from an entire team of experts.  In addition, it will make it easier for her, Sarah, and myself to stay together and not be separated as much.  Here in Boise at St. Luke's they have a level III NICU with neonatologists that can handle a broad range of problems in new babies, so they would be able to handle us initially, my babies are delivered here.  However, at PCMC, Samantha could go directly to their Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) and be cared for by a team of doctors and nurses who specialize in cardiac diseases in children.  It seems like that would be a good option, but for now I have to wait on our doctors to discuss, decide on, and suggest a plan of action.  I will likely know much more next Wednesday when I go see my doctor for a follow-up appointment.

With all of that being said, the most difficult part of our appointment yesterday was learning about mortality rates, possible complications, and the future outlook for children with Tricuspid Atresia.  Survival rates are much better than they have been in years past but somehow a survival rate of 60% at 20 years doesn't bring me the kind of optimism I wish I could have.  I am again reminded that the peace my heart yearns for will come only through faith and hope in Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please let me know if I can help in anyway. You are in my prayers

Terry said...

You are so amazing, Sarita! You know that Poppi and I will do whatever we can to help you, Eric, and the kids. Much love and prayers are continually being sent your way, and the Lord is holding you in His arms!

Terry said...

You are so amazing! I marvel that such a great daughter of God came into our family! Poppi and I will do whatever we can to help. I do know that I can feel the loving arms of the Lord around us all, especially Samantha.

Unknown said...

Sarita, I am so sorry. That would be so hard to hear. Keep your head up and keep trusting in Heavenly Father. He will take care of you and the babies. Congratulations on the twins! That is very exciting.

Ruth Harper Gough said...

My heart goes out to you. Our Benny had heart problems too-- lucky for me we didn't learn about them until he was born, so I didn't have to stress... which was good and bad. The worst part was that we weren't prepared that you are, and will be! I love that you are making a plan to keep you all together at delivery. I had to leave nearly AMA less than 24 hours after my C-section to go to the hospital they had transferred Benny to for care-- and that was rough. I am glad that you will be able to stay together but still have the care you and the other baby will need as you heal. You are also getting to so much knowledge and will make choices before things hit you all at once when she is born-- another tender mercy for one so smart, diligent, and ultra prepared as you! The Lord knows and loves you and your family. He will provide for baby Samantha, I just know it. We are praying for you and will fast again for peace, assurance, help, and healing to come your way. Love you so much cousin. :)

The Army National Guard