Monday afternoon was our echo and then we got a chance to meet with several people from cardiology including a cardiologist. Apparently they have a very large team, so I'm not certain we'll work with the same doctors all the time. The doctors (a cardiologist and a fellow working with him) agreed with the diagnosis we got in Boise and were also optomistic that Samantha will likely not need surgery immeadiately after she is born. If that is the case, they will still take over her care after she is born and observe her until they are certain she is stable and feeding and all those things babies need to do in order to thrive. I'm hopeful that this will be the case, but am not getting my heart set on it in case things go the other way. I'm also still a little perplexed as to how it will work with 2 babies because they don't allow children under 2 into the Cardiac ICU (CICU) where she will be staying. I think they will make an exception for twins (since I will be trying to establish breastfeeding with them both), but I'm sure there will be conditions and I'd like to know what they are. Anyway, I've asked the question a couple of times to diffent people working there, but I have yet to talk to the person who can answer me definitively. I will maybe try to talk to the staff there this week when I go for my appointments.
Tuesday and Wednesday we celebrated Christmas Eve and Christmas with David and Becky their family. It was fun to participate in their traditions and they were so generous to let us be a part of their celebrations and get gifts for each of us. Christmas Eve we ate chimichangas for dinner; they were delicious. Then Junior and Carolyn opened their Christmas jammies and we watched some football and then listened to the Christmas story and sang Christmas songs. Junior and Carolyn were a little crazy, but it was a wonderful evening.

On Christmas morning we had to wait for Carolyn to wake up. When she finally did, the kids looked for their stockings and gifts from Santa. It was fun, of course, to see them so excited that Santa found them and to open their gifts. You gotta love Christmas with little kids. The Crocketts also enjoyed having our Junior and Carolyn in their home and seeing how they loved opening their gifts. It was a great time. The day was spent enjoying new toys together.
On Thursday Eric took Junior and Carolyn to Hill Air Force Base to see the air museum. That is one of Eric's favorite thing to do when we travel. Unfortunately, the kids didn't last too long and wanted to get back home (to their mama :).
Friday morning I had an appointment for and ultrasound and to meet my high risk OB here, Dr. Silver. The ultrasound went fine, but took longer that I anticipated. I was very impressed with Dr. Silver. He had the answers to all of my questions before I could even ask them. He doesn't think I will need to have a C-Section and is confident I will be able to birth the babies just fine. He said it would be a shame to have a c-section considering I've already birthed a nearly 11 lb. baby (Junior) just fine. And his technique for birthing the second twin greatly decreases the risk of distress in the baby and virtually eliminates the risk of having to do a c-sectio for the second baby after already delivering the first. I feel really good about that. He says the babies could come any time if I go into labor and if not we'll induce on Jan 10 when I reach 38 weeks. I am reassured that the delivery should go very well.
He did want to check a few things because of symptoms I was experiencing so he checked me in to OB Emergency (like what we call triage at Boise labor and delivery) and they checked a few things to make sure I wasn't in labor or experiencing pre-eclampsia. It turns out I was just dehydrated. They pumped 2 liters of saline into me while watching the babies' heartbeats and my contractions. After a full day at the hospital I was finally released to go home. I will go back next week twice for non-stress tests and on Friday to see Dr. Silver. I'm glad that we're getting close to delivery because I am ready to be done being pregnant (although not sure I'm really ready to be a mother to twins, one of them being a "heart baby", but I don't suppose anyone is ready for that).
Tuesday and Wednesday we celebrated Christmas Eve and Christmas with David and Becky their family. It was fun to participate in their traditions and they were so generous to let us be a part of their celebrations and get gifts for each of us. Christmas Eve we ate chimichangas for dinner; they were delicious. Then Junior and Carolyn opened their Christmas jammies and we watched some football and then listened to the Christmas story and sang Christmas songs. Junior and Carolyn were a little crazy, but it was a wonderful evening.
On Christmas morning we had to wait for Carolyn to wake up. When she finally did, the kids looked for their stockings and gifts from Santa. It was fun, of course, to see them so excited that Santa found them and to open their gifts. You gotta love Christmas with little kids. The Crocketts also enjoyed having our Junior and Carolyn in their home and seeing how they loved opening their gifts. It was a great time. The day was spent enjoying new toys together.
On Thursday Eric took Junior and Carolyn to Hill Air Force Base to see the air museum. That is one of Eric's favorite thing to do when we travel. Unfortunately, the kids didn't last too long and wanted to get back home (to their mama :).
Friday morning I had an appointment for and ultrasound and to meet my high risk OB here, Dr. Silver. The ultrasound went fine, but took longer that I anticipated. I was very impressed with Dr. Silver. He had the answers to all of my questions before I could even ask them. He doesn't think I will need to have a C-Section and is confident I will be able to birth the babies just fine. He said it would be a shame to have a c-section considering I've already birthed a nearly 11 lb. baby (Junior) just fine. And his technique for birthing the second twin greatly decreases the risk of distress in the baby and virtually eliminates the risk of having to do a c-sectio for the second baby after already delivering the first. I feel really good about that. He says the babies could come any time if I go into labor and if not we'll induce on Jan 10 when I reach 38 weeks. I am reassured that the delivery should go very well.
He did want to check a few things because of symptoms I was experiencing so he checked me in to OB Emergency (like what we call triage at Boise labor and delivery) and they checked a few things to make sure I wasn't in labor or experiencing pre-eclampsia. It turns out I was just dehydrated. They pumped 2 liters of saline into me while watching the babies' heartbeats and my contractions. After a full day at the hospital I was finally released to go home. I will go back next week twice for non-stress tests and on Friday to see Dr. Silver. I'm glad that we're getting close to delivery because I am ready to be done being pregnant (although not sure I'm really ready to be a mother to twins, one of them being a "heart baby", but I don't suppose anyone is ready for that).

2 comments:
Thanks for the photos and the update! We love and missyou all tons!
Sarita, this is Jen (Jackson) Olsen... I was roommates with your sister Jen in Campus Villa and saw your link to your blog on facebook. Just wanted you to know I'll be thinking about and praying for your family in the coming days and weeks. Good luck!
Post a Comment